Featured post

Earn Up to $2000 Per Month Writing for Medium

Image
Would you like to make some extra cash? What about earning up to $1000 per month? Of course, you would just like everybody! Join Medium and write for them. You can earn money by writing about your favorite topics.

How I Wrote My First Book

Have you ever wondered how you should start to write your first book?

I wanted to write a book when I was younger but it didn’t materialize until many years later.





By the time I was 18 years old, I was more of a drama freak than a writer. I studied drama at school. I tried working with the theatre. I was young and loved watching plays. Going to the theatre was like a hobby for me and it still is today. I worked for a play publisher and became immersed in theatre productions. I read plays from new writers and decided I could write one myself so I did.

Eventually, I got married and then had my two sons. When my second son was just two years old and whilst I was reading a Danielle Steel novel, I realized I wanted to write fiction. But how was I going to start? I didn’t have the first clue how to start a novel. I had ideas but I couldn’t put them into words.

So, I joined a creative writing class. I had a wonderful teacher who had been a tv writer in the 80s. She had originally written tv sketches for some outstanding English comedy shows so I learned from the best. She ran a class locally and I became a regular student.




I wrote my first book during a creative writing class when I was in my thirties.

One day in class, the topic was romance. We were told to write a blurb for a romance story for a novel we wanted to write. I read my blurb out aloud during class time and my teacher said it was interesting. I was excited that she thought it was good.

Then we were told to write the first chapter based on the story blurb. I read it out in class. My teacher said my first chapter was outstanding and so she asked me to continue writing it. Each week I would read a chapter to the class. It eventually became popular amongst my classmates. They said my romance novel was a page-turner and they wanted to hear more of it. They said the story had moved them. Was I on the right track? Was writing romance for me? I wasn't sure but I continued with it.

I kept on writing a chapter for my class each week and reading it out aloud was becoming a popular thing for them. They said they looked forward to hearing me read my romance story every week. I felt good about it too. I was sure I was on the right track!

Pixaby images

Eventually, I finished writing the book and my teacher gave me editing tips. She said it was good enough to be published. But I never sent it to a publisher. I was too afraid.

Eventually, I sent it to Mills and Boon when I was still in my thirties, but they wrote back and asked me to incorporate another running plot into the story. I didn’t change it so I didn’t send it back. Again, I was too afraid. Why? I don’t know!


Why is a Creative Writing Class Rewarding?
I continued going to my class. I could only write for my creative writing class. They gave me confidence. I read aloud and it felt great. Joining a creative writing class helped me considerably. I went to the class for twelve years and it helped me to write. I kept on joining creative writing classes every year. They helped me to write. They gave me the boost I needed to write every day. I felt I was working towards something every time I attended a class.
Today, the book I wrote for the creative writing class is titled The Island of Love and is available on Amazon. I added another plot and now it's a thriller romance. Of course, I did not publish it until a few years ago.

Why are writers afraid to get their work published?
It’s something a lot of writers go through. We get scared. We believe nobody wants to read our work. We believe it’s not good enough or it won’t get published. Of course, it is hard to get an agent and a publisher these days but now we can self-publish a novel on Amazon, so there is no excuse anymore.

Today, I have two fiction novels out on Amazon and two short storybooks.

Time to Run: The Biters (book 1)

My point is if you want to write but don’t know how to start then join a creative writing class. It can help you learn to write. It will give you the confidence you need. The creative writing homework tasks will boost your confidence. It will help you write further and turn you into an Author!

Denise is an Author. She writes thriller sci-fi horror with a hint of romance. Her latest books are The Island of Love and Time to Run: The Biters (book 1).


Comments