Featured post

Earn Up to $2000 Per Month Writing for Medium

Image
Would you like to make some extra cash? What about earning up to $1000 per month? Of course, you would just like everybody! Join Medium and write for them. You can earn money by writing about your favorite topics.

What Must You Do If You Can't Write?

Do we do something else until we feel we can write again?

Flickr


If you are feeling down or upset or just not right in yourself it can be hard to push yourself to write. The thought of sitting at the computer can be daunting at times. It takes a lot out of a writer to just sit there and start typing.

I have that feeling often. I feel I cannot muster a page of writing and when I push myself I feel doomed just before I sit down to write, but then afterward, I feel great that I did it. Do you feel that way?

I was like this for a long time so I pushed myself and made myself sit down to write. I made that point of fitting in at least an hour every day to write. I had to or I would never make it as a writer. I had a second book to write and I knew people were waiting for it to be released.

Writers Who Suffered Writers’ Block

Photo credit: Flickr - Virginia Woolf

There are many writers who have come across writers’ block. For instance, Virginia Woolf, who was an early 20th-century British writer and best known for her novels Mrs. Dalloway and Orlando, suffered terribly with writers’ block due to episodes of depression.
Also, Leo Tolstoy, who was a 19th-century Russian author who was best known for War and Peace and Anna Karenina, suffered terribly with writers’ block and couldn’t write at all for months and years at a time. So, most writers can suffer.

So, What Do We Do About It?

The best thing is to have a set routine every day. Start the day by writing a thousand words first of all. If you can’t write that much then write 500 words or less. The point is to write something the first time and increase what you write the next day and so on. The more you write the more it will stick.

When you get into the routine of writing, you will be used to it and it will end up being your job. I started to write in the mornings but if I didn’t write in the morning that day, I would make myself sit down and write in the evening for an hour or two, depending on how I felt.

Is It Easy?

It’s not easy setting yourself a routine each day to write. I have had to push myself to open a screen on my laptop to write or open the page to my book and continue a chapter. You have to be motivated and sometimes we are not.

If you have a publisher or an editor or agent who are pushing you to write then it is better because you have a reason to write. Indie authors are in the same boat because of their readers who want to read another one of their books. They must get that next book out or their readers will lose interest in them. Indie writers have to motivate themselves too which isn’t easy sometimes.

Public Domain Photos

Failing

I had that feeling where I was losing my readers all the time, so it made me feel awful. I felt I was failing them and I do not like to fail!

Failing is not nice. We don’t want to fail. So, we must motivate ourselves by doing something else in our life that will help our thinking process. We can expand our thinking by either going for a walk, running or doing some kind of sport or even taking part in a hobby that you love. Then when you get home your brain will be motivated to write. Just open a screen on your computer and write anything that comes to your mind. That’s what I have learned to do lately.

Should You Plan Your Writing?

Now, I don’t think or plan what I will write because it will ruin the process of actually sitting down to write. I hope you get what I am trying to say.

My point is, don’t overthink what you have to write, just do it. It’s not necessary to plan but just to sit and write so we can get the process of our writing out onto paper. You can plan later. I started this article by just writing. I didn’t plan this article it just came out when I started writing. After it was written, I edited it to the way I wanted it to read. So, all you have to do is write and forget about everything else!

What About Writing a Novel? Do You Need to Plan it?

If you want to write a novel, then have the idea and genre of the story you want to write about already planned. Also, know who your two main characters will be and the rest you just sit and write without a plan. I never plan a chapter but in my head, I always have an idea of where the story will go. Sometimes as I am writing, new ideas will pop into my head. I’m sure all writers have this feeling too. Sometimes before I write, I close my eyes and think of nothing for about two to five minutes and then I start typing. It truly works.

So, don’t overthink the writing just open up your page and write anything that comes to mind and you will see that it can work.


Denise is a writer of science fiction fantasy novels with some romance. She writes for Medium.com here and The Writing Cooperative and The Ascent.


Comments